Looker Studio is a free data visualization tool used to consolidate data from different sources and share aggregated results. This connector gives you the opportunity to connect Contentsquare aggregated site, page, and zone metrics and tailor results by segment, device, or goal in Looker.
Before you can begin setting up your connector you will need to:
Set up your Connector
2. Add Contentsquare as a Looker Studio data source
Go to Looker Studio and add Contentsquare as a data source to a new or existing report
Click 'Add data' Search for "Contentsquare" and select it.
- Input the API credentials you have generated:
client_secretseparated by an underscore.
- The configuration screen should appear, all the checkboxes to allow parameters to be modified in the report should be checked.
- Click 'Connect' and then 'Allow' on the configuration pop-up.
Use the Chrome Extension
- Open your CS Looker Studio Helper extension and enter the API credentials you've just generated:
client_secretseparated by an underscore exactly like in the data source.
- You will also need to create a password. Keep it simple, you will need it regularly while building your dashboard.
2. Choose a project
- Select which CS project’s data you wish to work on
- Select a timezone. If you want your data to match what you see in Contentsquare, specify the same timezone as the one set in your user account.
3. Define parameters and page zones
Use the extension just like you would your CS Analysis context
- Define your parameters: select your segment, device, and goals.
- Choose your mapping, then corresponding pages and zones, then apply filter.
Although the Google Data Studio Connector relies on the Metrics API, some of the metrics available through the Metrics API are not available in Looker Studio.
Here is a list of metrics available on Looker Studio:
|Zone metrics (web)
|Zone metrics (app)
Can I aggregate the data on a periodicity other than daily?
The connector does not support this directly yet. You can do it through some Looker Studio computation, but you should only do so for metrics in absolute values that can be safely summed. E.g. If you do it for ratios such as the click rate, then averaging the daily data won’t give the right computation (a click rate for a month is not the average of 30 daily click rates, but rather the ratio between all the clicks and all the sessions for a month, which is different).
Can I use Looker Studio controls?
Our connector supports the date range and the drop-down controls. You can use drop-down controls to select among segments, devices, goals, pages, or zones, for example. For your visualization to be dynamic based on a drop-down control selection, you must ensure that no specific occurrence of the target dimension (e.g. no specific segment) has been specified through the Chrome extension for this visualization. In “View” mode, the value selected in the dropdown will be dynamically sent to the connector if the corresponding parameter has been properly left empty.
Will my teammates need to generate their own credentials or can they use mine?
No. By default, you share your dashboard with the option 'Owner’s credentials' attached to your Contentsquare data source, meaning that anybody you shared the dashboard with will benefit from your access. This is useful, but it also means you should remain vigilant and share the dashboard only with people who can access the Contentsquare data.
What if the data I see in Looker Studio is not up to date with what I see in Contentsquare?
If you see that the dropdowns (segments, mappings, goals, etc.) in the extension are not up to date with your Contentsquare platform, it’s because the Chrome extension uses some cache and may not display the last changes occurring on your platform. You can force a refresh of the dropdowns by clicking on the “Refresh dropdowns” button in the footer of the extension.
How do I change my credentials?
Can I select more than 3 months of data in Looker?
You can query up to 92 days of data in the contractual data retention period (defined at the account level). If a date range exceeds 92 days or is outside of the data retention period, it will return an error message indicating this.
Watch the Demo
Here are some examples of dashboards you can create using the GDS Connector.